- Set the main board in the center of the table
- Give each player 1 player board, 1 light point tracker,
6 seeds, and 14 trees: 8 small, 4 medium, and 2 tall
- Separate the scoring tokens by their backs (shade of green and
number of of leaves and set them next to the board in stacks
ordered by points. If you are playing a 2 player game, do
put the 3 darkest (4 leaf) scoring tokens back in the box. If
players score the middle space on the board, they take from the
3 leaf stack instead.
- Place 4 seeds, 4 small trees, 3 medium trees, and 2 large trees
on the corresponding spaces on each player board. Set the light
point tracker to 0.
- Place the remaining 2 seeds, 4 small trees, and 1 medium tree
next to the player boards. These are the players' available
trees at the beginning of the game.
- The youngest player takes the First Player Token.
- In turn order each player places 1 of their available small
trees on a space of the external edge of the main board
(the 1 leaf zone). Do this twice.
- Place the sun segment on the sun symbol printed on the board.
Set the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd revolution counters in a stack
near the edge of the board in numerical order with 3 on the top.
If you are playing the advanced version, use all 4 counters,
with the 4 on the top.
- Playing a Round
Each time the sun is in one position, a round is played. Each round
consists of 2 phases.
- 1. The Photosynthesis Phase
- The player with the 1st Player Token moves the sun segment
clockwise to the next angle on the board hex (Note: this
step is skipped in the 1st round).
- Players collect light points for each tree that is not
in the shadow of another tree.
- A small tree scores 1 point
- A medium tree scores 2 points
- A large tree scores 3 points
- No points are scored for seedlings
- A player cannot have more than 20 light points!
Trees cast shadows in the direction shown on the sun segment.
A tree that is taller than a shadow-casting tree is not
shadowed and receives full light points. Trees in the
shadow cast their own shadow, and trees still cast shadows on
their own variety. Shadows are cast as follows:
- Small trees cast a 1 space shadow
- Medium trees cast a 2 space shadow
- Large trees cast a 3 space shadow
- 2. The Life Cycle Phase
In turn order, each player can now spend their light points to
take any number of actions (below). Any light points leftover
can be saved for the next round. Each player performs all their
actions before the next player takes their turn.
IMPORTANT: During their turn, a player can only perform
1 action on the same space on the main board. For example,
a player cannot grow a tree more than one "step" on a single
Note that any seeds/trees that are added/upgraded on the main
board must come from the players' available pool, not
from their player board
- Buy Action
Players can purchase seeds or trees from their board
and add them to their available pool. They must buy
from the bottom of the board up (least expensive to
- Planting a Seed Action
Players can plant a seed near one or more of their trees,
paying 1 light point per seed. Seeds can be
planted in any direction, including non-linear
directions, as long as the spaces connect.
- 1 space from a small tree
- Up to 2 spaces from a medium tree
- Up to 3 spaces from a large tree
Planting a seed activates both the origin tree's space
and the space the seed was planted on. Therefore,
during that turn, no other actions can be taken using
- Growing a Tree Action
A seed or tree can be replaced by a tree that is the
next size up.
- Seed -> small tree: costs 1 light point
- Small tree -> medium tree: 2 light points
- Medium tree -> large tree: 3 light points
Players can only take trees from their available
area to grow seeds/trees, not from their player
Trees/seeds that are removed from the main board are put
back on the player board in the topmost available spot.
If no spots are available on the player board, the
trees/seeds are removed from the game.
- Collecting Action
Players can choose to collect scoring tokens by ending
the life cycle of their large trees. Doing so
costs 4 light points per large tree.
- The large tree is removed from the main board and
placed on the player board in the topmost available
- The player collects the scoring token from the top
of the matching pile of tokens (color/number of
leaves). If there are no tokens left in that pile,
the player takes the top token of the next lower pile.
- If a tree is removed, other players can plant
in that space during that round.
- Ending a Round
After everyone has had a turn, the 1st player token is passed
clockwise to the next player. If the sun has completed one
revolution, remove the top token from the sun revolution counter
pile and put it in the box.
- End of the Game
The game ends when the sun has completed 3 revolutions (4 in the
advanced variant). The full game is 18 rounds (24 in the advanced
variant) with sun ending in the 6th position (the 1 before the sun
symbol on the board).
- Score scoring tokens
- Score 1 point for every 3 unused light points
If there is a tie, the player with the most seeds and trees on the
main board wins.