The Fox in the Forest
The game is played over a number of rounds, where the dealer
alternates each round. Randomly choose a dealer for the 1st
round. The dealer does the following each round:
- Shuffle the 33 game cards.
- Deal 13 cards to each player
- Set aside the remaining 7 cards as a draw deck
- Flip the top card of the draw deck face up. This is known as the
Each round consists of the play of all 13 tricks.
- Trick Details
- Leading: The **non-dealer leads the 1st trick. After
that, the winner of the trick will lead the next trick.
The leader can lead any card.
- Following: The non-lead player that must (if possible)
match the led suit. If the follower does not have a card
in the led suit, they can play any card.
- Determining the winner of the trick: After both
cards are played, a winner is determined. Usually, the
highest card in the led suit wins. However the Decree
card suit is considered the trump suit, and higher
than other cards of different suits.
- The winner takes the trick. The number of tricks won
is public info. However, no one can look at the
cards in the previously won tricks.
- The winner leads the next trick.
All odd numbered cards have special abilities, which
trigger when the card is played. See the card text for
how each card works.
- End of Round Scoring
The number of tricks won determines the points that each
After the end of round scoring, if either player has at
least 21 points, the game is over. Otherwise, keep playing
- End of Game
The game ends when someone has 21 points after the end of round
scoring. The most points wins. If there's a tie, the player
that scored the most points in the last round wins.
Game Length Variants
* Play to 16 points for a shorter game.
* Play to 35 points for a longer game.
- Common Questions
- When do the abilities on the 3 and 5 occur?
- Both of these abilities take place immediately when played.
Specifically, this is before another card is played or
the trick winner is determined.
- If my opponent leads a 9, do I have to follow the 9's suit or
the trump suit?
- You must follow the 9's suit if you can. A non-trump 9 is
not treated as if it were in the trump suit until after
both cards have been played.
- Who wins the trick with two 9 cards in it?
- The witches abilities cancel each other out. If the 9 of the
trump suit was played, it wins. Otherwise, the 9 of the lead
- Who leads the next trick after a trick with two 1 cards in it?
- If both players play a 1, the player who loses the trick leads
the next trick.