- Shuffle the Specialist tiles to form a face down deck. Deal out 5 Specialists, 1 to each spot on the board.
- Shuffle the Building tiles and place it face down. Reveal 5 and place them next to the board.
- Shuffle the Fleet tiles. Reveal 5 and place them on the first 5 spots of the Fleet track at the bottom of the board. Place the reaming 5 tiles face down on the last 5 spots of the track.
- Shuffle the Culture tokens and them randomly on the board.
- Place a mountain tile under each mountain Culture token (including the blank one).
- Remove all blank Culture tokens from the board.
- Each player gets 1 meeple of their color, 10 coins, a player mat and a number of Standard Buildings.
- 2P: 10 each (do not use gray or purple buildings)
- 3P: 8 each (do not use gray buildings)
- 4P: 6 each
- Shuffle the turn order meeples and place them randomly on the numbered spots above the Fleet track to define turn order.
- 2P: Take 1 meeple for each player and randomly place on spots 1 and 2, then repeat for spots 3 and 4.
- Performed in turn order as shown on the turn order track.
- On their turn, a player performs actions 1 – 5 in order.
- 1 - Choose a Fleet Tile (Mandatory)
- Choose a Fleet tile from the ones visible by placing it and your turn order meeple on your mat.
- Take the boats depicted on the Fleet tile from the reserve. If not enough boats are left, take what you can.
- 2 - Trade (Optional)
- May buy or sell 1 boat, paying or receiving the price marked on your player mat.
- May only perform a single transaction; either 1 buy or 1 sell.
- Gold boats cannot be bought unless a Specialist allows you to ignore this.
- 3A - Place Boats on the Board (Optional)
- Place any number of boats onto the board.
- The first boat placed on a turn must be on an empty spot, marked with a special starting symbol on the board or on an empty spot connected to a boat of the same colour.
- Additional boats can be placed on any empty spot connected to the previous boat, regardless of color.
- 3B - Collect Culture Tokens or Build (Mandatory if Possible)
- Must perform 1 of the following actions:
- Collect Culture Tokens
- Take 1 Culture token for each boat that you placed on the board.
- Each boat allows you to take 1 adjacent Culture token.
- Choose 1 Building from the face up row.
- To place a Building, the boats shown on the tile must be adjacent to the island where you choose to build it and the island must not have a Culture token.
- Place the matching Building from you supply on the island; either a standard building or a Torii (gate).
- Put the building tile face down in front of you.
- Standard Building:
- +1 point for each adjacent Torii or palace.
- +1 point if constructed on a mountain.
- +1 coin for each of your buildings in this contiguous group (min. 2 buildings). Diagonal does not count.
- Prestige Building:
- 4 - Place Remaining Boats on Your Mat (Mandatory)
- Place all boats you did not use on your player mat.
- 1 boat can be kept in your harbor for future turns; the rest must be put aside and can no longer be used.
- 5 - Recruit a Specialist (Optional)
- Recruit a Specialist from the track by paying 2 identical or 3 distinct Culture tokens.
- Take the Specialist and any coins that are on their tile.
- May only recruit 1 Specialist per turn.
- End of the Round
- Add 2 coins to every face up specialist on the Specialist track.
- Fill and empty Specialist spaces. (game ends if it cannot be filled)
- Refill Building tiles display back to 5 tiles. (game ends if it cannot be filled)
- Each player places their turn order meeple on the numbered spot matching their Fleet tile(s).
- Slide hidden Fleet tiles left to fill in spots and reveal them.
- Players return current Fleet tiles to the board. Shuffle them and place face down on far end of Fleet track.
- End of the Game
- When a player places their last Standard Building, finish off the current round, then the game ends.
- If no boat of any 1 colour remains when setting up a new round, the game immediately ends.
- If you cannot refill the Specialist track, the game immediately ends.
- If you cannot refill the Building row, the game immediately ends.
- +1 PP for every 5 coins.
- +1 PP for each Prestige token.
- +X PP for each constructed Building.
- +X PP for each Specialist.
- -1 PP for each reserved Building that was not built.
- -1 PP for every 2 unused boats on your player mat.
- Take a bamboo (green) boat from the reserve.
- No special effect, but you are guaranteed to play first on the
- Take a wood (brown) boat from the reserve.
- You can choose a building from the Building Row and reserve it
for later. Place the tile face up next to your player mat. Only
you can construct this building. A penalty of 1 PP will be
applied if you don't build it by the end of the game.
- Take a stone (black) boat from the reserve.
- Look at the first 3 buildings in the building deck. You may
either place each of them back on the deck or below it, or both,
in the order of your choice.
- Take a clay (red) boat from the reserve.
- You can slide a boat from one spot to an adjacent empty spot.
- Take a gold (yellow) boat from the reserve.
- You may place a Sacred Ground Token on any empty region of
the board. As long as the Sacred Ground Token is there, no one
can build on that region.
- Take a wood (brown) boat and a bamboo (green) boat from the
- You may switch 2 Culture Tokens anywhere on the board.
- Take a stone (black) boat and a bamboo (green) boat from the
- You may remove up to 2 boats from the board and place them back
in the reserve.
- Take a clay (red) boat and a bamboo (green) boat from the reserve.
- You may switch 2 boats anywhere on the board.
- Take a stone boat (black) and a wood boat (brown) from the
- You can build with 1 less boat than needed (your choice) during
- Take a clay (red) boat and wood (brown) boat from the reserve,
plus an extra boat of your choice.
Doubles the value of your Prestige Point Tokens.
Receive 2 coins from any opponent that constructs a building next to at least one of your Standard Buildings. An opponent that cannot pay cannot place their building next to yours.
Receive Standard Building Bonuses even for Prestige Buildings.
Once per turn, when you clear islands to take Culture Tokens, take one extra token from any island of the board.
- Fu Hsi
At game end, score 1 PP for every 3 coins (instead of 5).
Once per turn, you may discard one of your Culture Tokens to receive 4 coins.
You may do one additional transaction per turn (buy or sell).
When an opponent recruits a Specialist, take half of the coins placed on this specialist tile.
Once per turn, you may spend 2 coins to remove a Sacred Ground token from the board.
Take 1 extra PP if you place a Standard Building on a region that is not adjacent to your other Standard Buildings.
Once per turn, you may discard a Culture Token to receive a gold boat.
Once per turn, you may exchange a gold boat for any two boats (except gold boats).
Once per turn, you may exchange any two boats for a gold boat.
Your harbor now has two extra spots in which you can keep boats.
When you sell boats, you get 6 coins for stone boats and 7 coins for clay boats.
You may but / sell gold boats for 5 coins. Unless stated otherwise, you are still limited to one transaction per round.
- Toyo Tama
Any empty spot on the border of the board is considered any entry spot for your boats.
Yasoma is very prestigious. What more do you want?